Registration is open for municipal youth sports leagues and after-school programs.
COLUMBIA, SC — Feeling restless? Want to learn a new sport or show off your (already) crazy skills? The City of Columbia Parks and Recreation Department may have a program for you.
Registration is now being accepted for the City After-School Program for ages 5-12, City Youth Soccer League for ages 12 and under, and City Lacrosse League for ages 8-12. 14 years old.
- The Youth Soccer League is accepting entries for mixed teams until Sunday 21 August. The season begins Wednesday, September 14, with games played from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at various locations around the city.
- The Lacrosse League for girls and boys ages 8-14 is accepting entries until Sunday, August 18. Practices will take place on Thursdays, starting August 25, and games will be played from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays at Owens Field Park.
Register for football or lacrosse programs online at parksandrec.columbiasc.gov/youth-sports/ Registration forms are also available online or at any city recreation center or at the office of Parks and Recreation Administration located at 1111 Recreation Drive, Columbia, SC 29203. Fees for soccer league and lacrosse league are $25 per person, per sport. Both leagues finish playing the first week of November,
- The after school program offers children the opportunity to participate in supervised activities such as sports, arts and a book club on a weekly basis. The program follows the Richland School District 1 schedule and meets from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday during the school year. Registration begins Tuesday, August 16. Children must be 5-12 years old by July 1, 2022 to participate. The cost of the after-school program is $30 per child, per week. Snacks will be provided.
RELATED: Lower Richland legend Richard Seymour is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame
Registration for the after-school program will take place at the following locations:
- Edisto Park, 1914 Wiley St., 803-255-8103
- Emily Douglas Park (Teen program from 6th to 8th grade), 2500 Wheat Street, 803-733-8531
- Greenview Park, 6700 David Street, 803-754-5223
- Hampton Park, 1117 Brandon Ave, 803-695-5207
- Heathwood Park, 800 Abelia Road, 803-733-8446
- Hyatt Park, 950 Jackson Ave, 803-733-8445
- Katheryn M. Bellfield Booker Washington Heights Cultural Arts Center, 2611 Grant St., 803-255-8161
- Lorick Park, 1600 Lorick Ave, 803-691-9339
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Park, 2300 Greene St., 803-733-8452
- Melrose Park, 1500 Fairview Road, 803-733-8493
- Pinehurst Park, 2300 Pinehurst Road, 803-733-8451
- Sims Park, 3500 Duncan St., 803-733-8451
- Woodland Park, 6500 Olde Knight Parkway, 803-776-1096
For more information, call Parks and Recreation at 803-545-3100 or visit www.columbiasc.gov/parks-recreation.
RELATED: Cheerleading, umpire backflipping is the talk of Minnesota youth softball